Saturday, June 1, 2013

A must try: ENERGYbits!


ENERGYbits

What are they?  Good question.  When I first heard of them I had no clue what they were or what they used for.  Now they seem to be the popular craze in the running world and I understand why.  They work.  ENERGYbits are 100% pure spirulina algae that has 40 nutrients and 64% protein in a single serving.  They may look like pill but shouldn’t confused as such because they are actually bits algae (food).  An interesting fact, one gram of algae has the nutitional equivalent of 1,000 grams of fruits and vegetables.   

Here is what they look like:



A serving size is 30-40 bits.  I was a bit nervous about this at first because it seemed like a lot of food to swallow.  I’m not a huge fan of taking anything in pill form.  However, this was manageable.  I was able to swallow 4 at a time while eating my breakfast with no problem.  I also think by having to take so many it made me consume more water than what I’d normally drink which is a good thing before a warm summer run.  You can chew these but they have a bit of a fishy odor kind of like fish food or Omega vitamins if you’re used to taking those.  I’m not a fan of seafood so I chose to swallow them. 



As many of you know, I’ve been having some IT band issues the past few weeks so I decided to limit my run to 3 miles.  I wasn’t sure what kind of benefit I’d notice from the bits, if any at all, going on such a short run.  To my surprise, even in a short run the effect of ENERGYbits was noticeable.  I felt energized the entire run and even felt like I could keep going after my 3 miles were up.  I didn’t go on only because I didn’t want to risk irritating my IT band.  (It was a pain free run).  I typically train at a 1:30/:30 run/walk interval for the first 1.5miles and then switch to 1/:30s.  However, I was able to keep up with the 1:30/:30 interval the entire time and even skipped a few because I wasn’t paying attention to the beeper.  I think what I was most happy about with this run is that I had NEGATIVE splits! This never happens for me.  No matter the distance I always struggle/slow down with the last bit.  I felt like for this run I was speeding up and just getting started.  Awesome!

I think what I most like about ENERGYbits is the nutrients it provides.  I’m a plain eater with a terrible diet.  I’ve recently become more conscious about this and trying to improve.  My last big race I felt terrible for pretty much the entire thing because of poor nutrition.  I just started tracking my meals with MyFitnessPal just to see how much protein and other nutrients I’m getting each day.  I was very impressed to find ENERGYbits as one of the recordable foods on this app :)

Here are screenshots of a day without ENERGYbits and a day with ENERGYbits:  (I ate similar things both days—w/the exception of a smoothie of the first day that provided a ton of vitamin A)



Without ENERGYbits **All Day totals (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner)**



With ENERGYbits **totals from Breakfast and Lunch only**

The largest difference I noticed was in my iron consumption.  Iron is important for athlete performance because it carries oxygen to and carbon dioxide away from all of the cells in the body.  Without enough iron a person can lose endurance and feel fatigued.  I don’t eat an iron enriched diet so, it’s a good thing that the ENERGYbits provided a good source of iron for me.  This probably contributed to how I felt during my run.

In Summary:
I’m a fan of ENERGYbits :)  I like the nutrients it provides and the way it makes me feel during my runs.  A strong run is a good run :)  It feels great to be #PoweredByBits

Check out energybits.com to learn more or to purchase ENERGYbits.
Follow ENERGYbits on twitter @ENERGYbits

Want to try ENERGYbits for yourself?
Enter this giveaway from an ENERGYbits Ambassador to win your very own tin of ENERGYbits.  Hurry though because the giveaway ends tonight! June 1, 2013

Disclaimer:  I was provided with a sample of ENERGYbits to try, however all opinions are of my own.



******************************************************************************
Also don’t forget there is still time to enter my giveaway for a free Disney ticket! Enter Here:








0 comments:

Post a Comment