Monday, June 20, 2011

Eat Your Veggies Faithfully

This Sunday while sitting in church I was having some serious God moments. I can’t help but feel closer to the Lord when I’m surrounded by other followers worshiping just as I am. But I don’t have these God moments every week...God moments are times when I feel like He is talking directly to me or knocking on my door telling me to pay attention. These moments also don’t necessarily exclusively occur during church but this moment did. Even though Pastor JD was talking to everyone in the room I felt like God was specifically talking to me through him. As you all know (assuming you read my post before last) I’ve been struggling with control in my life, well throughout the week I’ve been praying and asking God to answer some of my questions on the subject and well He did through pastor JD’s sermon this week. I really wanted to make this post “Who’s in Control? 2.0” but I want to listen to the sermon again before writing my thoughts on it. I’m waiting for it to be posted to http://www.summitrdu.com/ (I’m providing the link in case you’re interested in listening before I have a chance to get my thoughts down).


So if this post isn’t “Who’s in Control? 2.0,” what is it? It’s on nutrition YAY!! No not yay...its another part of my life I constantly struggle with. I know your probably thinking “What is this girl’s problem? She looks fine” but its not that I’m overweight or underweight it’s what I’m consuming is just bad. Here is my typical diet:

Breakfast: Poptarts (chocolate, smores, or strawberry unfrosted), Orange juice (if its a good day and I’m not convinced its poisoning me)

Lunch: Peanut butter sandwich with nutella, chips—usually Doritos or salt and vinegar, string cheese, fiber one bar, fruit snacks (has to be the walmart brand)

Dinner: What’s that?

It’s bad...I’m not sure what kind of nutritional content I get from those things but it isn’t much and probably explains why my immune system hates me. I’ve gotten especially terrible with Dinner..I’ll feel hungry and I’ll make something but after cooking I just don’t feel like eating so I put it in the refrigerator for a day that never comes. It’s almost like I fill up on the smell...yeah I’m crazy and I know its not true because a few hours later I’ll eat something high in sugar or carbs (airheads, m&ms, cookies, or more chips) to settle my stomach enough to sleep.

I have very little variety in my diet...its sad the biggest variety lies with what flavor pop tart I choose or if I decide to go with grape jelly instead of nutella.  I'm so incredibly picky when it comes to food.  I eat like a 3 year old..it has to be normal in texture, plain, and sweet to taste. 

Certain people in my life feel the need to constantly tell me I don’t eat right and I hate hearing all of the lectures...that might be why when I go to the doctors I skip the nutrition section of the paperwork. I just don’t want to hear it.

So what makes me want to change now? While browsing the bookstore the other day (I do this often for fun especially if they have a coffee shop) I came across this book called “Food, Fitness, and Faith for Women.” I picked it up because I haven’t thought about what my health means to God. If I want to live my life Christ-like then I need to do it in all areas of my life including taking care of myself.

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
1 Corithians 6: 19-20

I’ve been quite familiar with this verse for some time now but I’ve always read it as God saying do not sin against your own body with sexual sin. Pretty much no sex until marriage! Ok got it...but I never considered eating crappy is also dishonoring my body aka God’s temple. Its not all the nagging from friends and family that make me want to change my diet but its the realization that I'm dishonoring God.
With God’s help I can do this! It started last night with instead of skipping dinner, which I would have been fine doing, I made chicken fajitas and I actually ate one! I also had some whole grain tortilla chips...yes thats right...brown chips...haha and to my surprise they actually tasted good and they’re better for me than they regular chips. Today for lunch instead of my usual peanut butter and nutella sandwich I’m having a turkey and salami sandwich on whole grain oatmeal bread...hopefully I’ll like it and if I don't I pray I'll grow to like it.  I’m still eating my usual junk with my sandwich haha but baby steps right?? I’m going to get better :) I'm determined to eat healthier faithfully.

Well thats all for now...be on the look out for Control 2.0. I’m going on vacation this week but I haven’t decided if that means I’ll take a vacation from the blog as well. A long road trip might be conducive to thinking and writing. Pray for safe travels for my sister and I as we make our way to NY :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment